Thursday, July 19, 2012

Stepping up

Lack of exercise is the new smoking in health circles. Media coverage this week reports that for the good of our health we should reduce alcohol consumption and increase physical activity. I've no doubt that those glasses of wine add to the waistline and have made a determined effort to moderate things on that front.

It is relatively easy to take a glass or more relaxing in front of the TV but more difficult to exercise and get to that slightly out of breath stage for a half hour each day. The real gains probably involve reducing inputs and increasing outputs.

Why do we not know this? Or if we do why do we not take it into account and act accordingly?

I did one of those online surveys that reports biological age in relation to chronological age and found that I was two years out. On the wrong side of the equation. I decided that i needed to take action if I was to stay on this journey of improving with age. I've always liked gadgets and had a pedometer that I wore on my belt like a fashion accessory. I used to keep a weekly record of how many steps I'd taken. Locating the not-recently used device I discovered that it must have worn out as it was no longer working. Over-used maybe? Don't think so.

So I got this new one and liked it immediately. It has an interesting feature that resets itself to zero each midnight although you can click back to see previous daily totals. Each day is a fresh start and a new challenge to step things up a bit.

The online survey I mentioned encourages new eating, drinking and exercise habits and once these are formed they can begin to rebalance that chronological/biological age equation. It seems a couple of hours exercise on a regular basis can add many times that number in days to life expectancy.

It strikes me that is a more than fair exchange for the effort spent, and one totally in step with improving with age.