Friday, July 1, 2011

Smartpass

Just the ticket!
Yes, I have got one! A senior citizen's travelcard.  It's called  a Smartpass and I am learning to be smart with it.  It can be used on buses and trains and I have begun organising  myself to synchronise with local timetables.
You can apply for the pass when you reach a "certain age" and so it has its good and not so good points. Among the latter is the digital confirmation that you are getting on a bit. Each ticket shows the pass's expiry date. I hope for many renewals!
When I decided to use it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, I made my way to the bus stop close to where I live.  Waiting for the bus to arrive, I thought I'm too young for one of these. At that moment a lorry pulled up in front of a nearby undertakers.  The driver was delivering coffins!! The lorry was full of them and I thought that a lot of smartpasses must have reached their expiry date!
I presented the pass to the bus driver and asked for a ticket.  That's not how it works. What you are supposed to do is to place your card on an electronic reader in front of the driver and say where you want to go. S/he then hits some keys, there's a "whirr" and you tear off a ticket.  The more practised travellers don't bother to take their cards from their wallets or purses. The driver's device is sophisticated enough to be able to read the data through the holder and distinguish your eligibility from all the other cards you have.  I haven't done that yet, preferring to show that I am new to all of this old stuff.
What strikes me most is the number of senior folks using the transport system.  The faces and personalities are becoming familiar and I sense their looks of recognition. Like the sensor reading through wallets I have picked up on the details of overheard conversations - visits to doctors, health centres and hospitals.  Stories of this and that ailment punctuated with coughs and sneezes and yes, the occasional funny stories and bursts of laughter. Characters.
Some close friends from younger days have got the smarts and joined this senior travel set.  We have plans to travel as a group to the furthest point on the rail network, get our lunch and return home. No doubt, other travellers will overhear a lot of sense. BUT, if talk turns to aches or pains and if anyone clears their throat,  I'll be asking, "Is that you coffin?"